Friday, August 17, 2007

Some random first reactions

Hope everyone is doing well. So far Africa is dry and hot and a little overwhelming. I guess I didn't spend too much thinking about food and language and living conditions before arriving. So the whole food thing is about eating a lump of ground maize (or sometimes sorghum!) called schima with your hands and some kind of meat or vege dish wich is called the relish. It actually tastes pretty good and I do enjoy the whole hand to mouth thing, but it can easily be eaten for every meal and get a little tiring... Dave,Thulasy, KaHay, Heather and myself about to chow down on some schima and relish.

Language is another concern I didn’t spend too much time contemplating before arriving - there are over 70 languages in Zambia, 7 of which are fairly mainstream. I will be in the Copperbelt region where the folks speak Bemba - so I will be learning that, but I have learnt a bit of Nyanja - which is spoken in the capital and now I am in the Southern province where folks speak Tonga and Lozi. It's tough to get ahead! Most folks that I have met speak English very well - so it wont be a significant road block until I get into more rural areas. And finally the living situation, I just have to get my head around the fact that I will be semi camping for the next 12 months! I will not have my living sorted out for another few weeks, but I expect to be in fairly basic accommodation, with an outhouse, perhaps some electricity and running water in the form of a communal tap somewhere in the yard. A far cry from my house in Fort Mac - but nothing I can't get used to. I just had a sponge bath and felt almost immediately afterwards that I was dusty again. I get the feeling that it's impossible to ever feel really clean or at least the feeling is very fleeting.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Bonjour Nina! Ça te va bien, une frange! C'est super, ton blogue!! Je suis vraiment contente de pouvoir garder contact avec toi comme ça. Je te souhaite une super journée!

Maria Iglesia said...

Hello!! I like your bangs! =)
I hope you are doing good, experimenting all this new things!
Have a great day!! I want more pictures!!! Love,
Toti

Anonymous said...

cool pics, cool bangs,
happy camping, you'll get used to it fast, i'm sure when you're back here after a year you'll be going out the back door looking for the outhouse.

JohnPaul Portelli said...

Dude! Glad to hear that things are going well.

JP